Over the duration of this comprehensive three days you will master the art of weaving wire, creating texture in your metal work, forming and manipulating wire and sheet copper, patinating, filing and polishing and how to make the best use of your tools.
You will be guided through several jewellery projects each using different techniques enabling you to build an armoury of skills to transfer to your future jewellery designs.
Discover all the fascinating properties of copper, how it has been used over the years and its role in jewellery making today. The day’s focus will be on weaving, braiding and combining wires, finishing loose ends and forming shapes. You will make: a Braided Bangle with Gem Stone accents; an Intricate Woven Ring; a Free form Woven Pendant. By the end of the day you will have learned:
• 3 weave formations with various wire gauges
• 1 braiding technique
• how to keep even tension in weave patterns
• how to manipulate wire to achieve freeform shapes
• 2 ways to finish wire ends neatly and safely
• a knowledge of the properties, limitations and strengths of copper wire
and you will have made 3 pieces of finished jewellery.
The day’s emphasis will be on manipulating, adding texture and applying patinas, focussing on heavier gauges of copper wire. We will also explore symmetry and balance in our designs and create suitable chains and links to help us achieve this. Projects will include: Cabochon set pendant on chain; Torque Necklace; Challenge (with prizes!). By the end of the day you will have learned how to:
• achieve symmetry and or balance in designs
• manipulate heavy gauges of wire 1.5mm – 2mm
• correctly use tools and equipment such as hammers and mandrels
• create a cabochon setting
• create 3 different styles of chain link and select the most appropriate to use within a design
• use liver of sulphur patina safely
• polish and finish designs.
On this final and exciting day we will use copper sheet to advance our new found wire and design skills. We will combine wire work with sheet metal to create beautiful wearable jewellery, making: a Cuff style Bangle; Earrings; a Pendant. By the end of the day you will have learned how to:
• correctly use metal shears and saws to cut sheet copper
• add texture to sheet copper
• use rivets to join metal
• file and polish metal
• join or combine wire work within copper sheet jewellery designs.
The cost of this course is between £485.00 and £510.00 depending on the accommodation chosen. The course tutor is Gemma Crow There are places available on this course. Sign up or sign in to see details about availability and to reserve your place.
The cost of this course is between £485.00 and £510.00 depending on the accommodation chosen.
The course tutor is Gemma Crow
There are places available on this course.
Sign up or sign in to see details about availability and to reserve your place.